Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The end of the internet

Do you ever hop on to the internet to “just check one quick thing” only to look up several hours later and realize you absolutely have to stop and get back to work whatever you are supposed to be doing… after you just look at one more…

You see where this is going.  

I love the internet and I hate the internet.  I am so easily distracted sometimes that I find myself with 15 open pages and 95 more that I want to open and read.  I find projects I want to do, recipes I want to make, hairstyles I want to have, clothes I want to buy, blogs I want to read.  There are great new tools to help you organize all this… pinterest, evernote, etc. that I LOVE.  But while I love them, they make it worse.  These days, I think it’s even easier to get pulled in a million directions at once by things I “just have to look at real quick.”  I have just started using Pinterest and have gotten so distracted just opening the site that I've given up each time before I even pin anything!

This causes me anxiety, sometimes a lot of anxiety.  I completely admit that the prior statement sounds ridiculous.  But am I alone?  Does anyone else feel easily overwhelmed by the possibilities vs. lack of time?  By all the amazing and inspirational blogs?  By endless ideas and creativity?  I love it and I hate it.

Once upon a time I had a job where I was really busy in spurts.  The rest of the time I had nothing to do.  This was a long time ago.  I was not on Facebook… Facebook didn’t exist (technically it did, but no one was using it yet).  I remember I had the same habit of starting in one place on the internet and ending up somewhere completely off track.  However, there was one day, after a really long spurt of down time, where I honestly couldn’t think of one more thing to look up/read about.  I declared to my office mates (one of which is now my husband…) that I had officially found the end of the internet.  We all had a good laugh.

What I wouldn’t give for a day like that now.  Nothing to do but get lost on the internet?  Sign me up!

1 comment:

  1. This made me smile. You are not alone.

    I quit Pintrest.

    Evernote? My husband told me to start using it. So far, I've refused. Piece of paper, pen, voila. . . it's in my pocket.

    I hate how much time "slips" by without even noticing it. I want to quit Facebook, but I just can't. The blog? Oy. . . I can't even consider it.

    :)

    Glad to see you posting. . .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you... I heart comments!